Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wintergirls


Wintergirls
Written by Laurie Halse Anderson
Published by Speak in 2009
288 pages.
Genre: Social Issues
Summery: Lia's best friend dies and comes back to haunt her. Lia finds out that she died from bulimia, which adds to her own problems with anorexia. Lia struggles to lose weight, hoping that it will hold the answer to her problems. Finally Lia has to decide what world she really belongs in.
Response: Wow. This is a sad book. It's very, very well written. I felt like I was in Lia's head. I couldn't put it down, even though it's painful to go through everything with Lia. I learned a lot about eating disorders that I didn't realize before. A great book.
Word of Caution: Cutting, eating disorders, graphic scenes. A little language, but the biggest thing is really the seriousness of the topic and the graphic scenes.

No comments: