Friday, April 23, 2010

"Brett McCarthy: Work in Progress"



"Brett McCarthy: Work in Progress"
Written by Maria Padian
Published by Knopf Books For Young Readers in 2009
288 pages

Genre: Friends/Social Issues, Sports

Summery: Brett McCarthy is the star of the soccer team, an honor student, and has a BFF. Then she plays a prank. Bam! Her world flips. Brett McCarthy is redefined as a twice-suspended-social-outcast-nerd. She even gets kicked off her beloved soccer team. And on top of all this, something is wrong with her grandmother. But Brett comes out on top in the end, thanks to her true friends and a giant potato bazooka.

Response: Oh my heavens. If Brett was real, we'd be BFF's. Seriously. I loved this story. It's real and funny and full of marvelous new words. I can't count the times this book made me laugh. It reminded me of my own Junior High friend problems, except Brett's are way worse than mine were. I liked the themes of friendship, change, responsibility, and family. The only thing I didn't like: it said that Maine potatoes are better than Idaho's. False!!

Word of Caution: May bring back memories of Jr High. Contains a few mild swear words.

No comments: