Friday, March 22, 2013

The Madness Underneath

The Madness Underneath
Written by Maureen Johnson
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Pages: 304
Publisher: Penguin Books

"Ahhhhh!" is the sound my mouth made more times than I would like to admit while reading this book.

The sequel to The Name of The Star was just....wow. So good. I mean the first one was good. But this one. Dang. Rory's adventures continue and deepen. I can't give too much of a plot summary for fear of spoilers, but I can say that Rory spends some time with her parents before coming back to school, and then stuff really starts happening, like more people die and more mysteries show up.

While the first book was more plot driven, the second is definitely more character driven. Rory has some real struggles with her friendships and relationships, and she's faced with some major life choices. Gah! I can't tell you about it or it will spoil it. It's just good, ok?

There's one part at the end that Maureen Johnson called The Thing. When I got to it, I yelled. Out loud. Then I fell on the floor. *plop* I was infuriated and distraught.

More great quotes:

"I like to talk. Talking is kind of my thing. If talking had been a sport option at Wexford, I would have been captain. But sports always have to involve running, jumping, or swinging your arms around. You don’t get PE points for the smooth and rapid movement of the jaw.” 

“Don't get stabbed. It makes everything awkward.” 

“I try to shake it loose-but these ideas, they cling. It's like I'm shackled to them with an iron chain. They rattle along behind me, dragging against the ground, always reminding me of their presence.” 

This is a great read if you need something short, funny, a little romantic, scary, intense, and awesome.


No comments: